Learning how to host a website can seem a daunting task at first, but if you take the right approach it is actually a surprisingly simple process.
Choose How To Host a Website- 4 Ways To Approach It
1) Host it Yourself from Your Home This is a highly technical process that involves a lot of inherent and learned knowledge about web hosting. We aren’t talking about how to create a server on this web page, but rather how to host your website online using the expertise of professionals.
2) Have Someone Else Host Your Website For You- You could allow a local company in your area to take care of the hosting. This is usually for a drastically inflated price and comes with frustration. Why? Because people who use them don’t take the few minutes to figure out there is often a much better solution (Not you of course! You are here!). It creates a situation where one’s online presence is completely controlled by another person or company, at a price, on their schedule.
3) Free Web Hosting- This sounds like an attractive offer for some at first, but if you want to create a professional website, then it is out of the question. Free hosting is free in exchange for a company placing free advertising on your website…ugly intrusive advertising in the form of flashing ads and pop-ups.
4) BEST OPTION FOR MOST*- Use An Online Web Hosting Service and Host Your Own Website- For people who want to host one or more simple websites, there is no better option than to just simply purchase a cheap plan online. We’ll discuss this method in detail.
How Do You Host a Website?- The Basics Of Web Hosting
Basically in order for you to host your website, you’ll need somewhere to put the site. This space to put your site on the internet is found on a “server”. So in order to get your site on the web, you need to put it on the server. People buy these servers and rent space out for a fee. This is the fee you will be paying when you get a simple hosting plan from a hosting service.
If you are wondering how to host a website on your home computer, then that is a much more complicated procedure and is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. There are many security issues that one needs to take into account.
How To Host A Website The Simple Way- Host Your Own Website With A Web Hosting Service Online
There are many reputable hosting companies online that will offer the service of hosting a website. But a really good hosting company will offer so much more actually- Things you won’t have thought of at the beginning of your search. Let’s take a look at some of the most beneficial features one needs to look for in a good hosting plan.
What Comes With the Best Hosting Plans?
1) Multiple Domain Hosting- You can host as many domains as you want for no extra charge.
2) Unlimited Memory- You can put as much information (use as much memory as you want) on your sites for no extra charge. This used to cost a lot more money if you wanted to host a lot of information, such as movies, music and pictures. Not anymore!
3) Unlimited Bandwidth- You can have as many visitors (bandwidth usage) as you could possibly want and there is no crashing of your site, or extra usage charges.
4) Statistics Tracking- You can track your visitors with statistics provided by the hosting company. You’ll be able to see who visited, when, from where, and how long they stayed, among other things. This comes standard with most top hosting services.
5) Unlimited Email Accounts- A good hosting plan will make it extremely simple to set up and manage new mail boxes.
6) Website Creation Tools- A good company will give you numerous tools to help you create a basic website.
7) Easy WordPress Installation- If you don’t know what WordPress is, it is a powerful free blogging software that allows you to create search engine optimized blogs or websites with push button ease. The website you are looking at right now was created in WordPress, and countless professionals use it world-wide. You can read more about this on our tutorial page about how to create a website.
8) Control Panel- All quality hosting companies will make it easy for you to navigate and control your hosting through a “Control Panel”. One of the most popular type of control panels is called a “CPanel”. Other companies, such as FatCow.com, use a proprietary design that is no less helpful by any means.
How To Host A Website With No Prior Knowledge Or Skill
The beauty is, you really don’t have to learn anything except that it’s possible to take hosting into your own hands and host your own website. If you pick the right hosting company, then you’ll only need to buy the plan and watch some simple step-by-step videos to get you through any technical steps.
Good 24/7 customer service will help you with anything you need also. The first time I bought hosting from www.FatCow.com, I was on the phone with them for quite a while as they helped me get started from scratch. I’ve had a site that was having problems at 10pm and the person at customer service walked me through exactly how to fix it. It wasn’t even their fault, but they still helped me. It’s like you have a “hosting person” on call 24/7.
So you can see it’s actually very simple to learn how to host a website if you just approach it from the right perspective. You don’t want to outsource the process so much that it costs an arm and a leg, and valuable time, every time you want to make a change. Then there is the other extreme of hosting the website at home on your own computer, which is very difficult and can be dangerous security wise. Why not take the third approach and purchase a simple hosting plan that gives you all the power with none of the cost or hassle?